Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to own dinner... in college.

Last night was magnifico! (That's “magnificent” in Italian)
Why so wonderful, you ask? BECAUSE, I hosted a dinner party… yes… a dinner party. I know what you are thinking. How did you host a dinner party? Aren’t you just a college student? Why, yes, yes I am but that didn’t stop me from transforming my humble apartment into Rome for the night.

Sometimes it pays to be creative. Sure Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is a college staple but there are times when you need a little pick me up perhaps a dinner that reminds you of home.

Curious?

Watch and learn as Tapanga Malanga presents, How To Own Dinner…. In College. 

Step One: Pick a theme.
( I chose, An Evening in Roma, mostly because we had A LOT of pasta, sauce, etc.)
To add to the atmosphere you should play fitting music. My playlist consisted of: Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and the FABULOUS Louis Prima.
Step Two: Get "fancy".
(Not really fancy.. more like mock fancy. Set the table with glass plates instead of the normal plastic.)
Don't forget place cards... nothing makes a dinner fancier than place cards!
You can make them using tape and construction paper (very simple).
To really own, give people names that go with the theme. (I traded in Tapanga for Noemi.)
Step Three: Pick a menu that compliments your theme.
(I served spaghetti with caesar salad and garlic bread. Mmmm!)
I even served pizza shaped brownies!!
Step Four: Think outside of the box!
(My roomates and I only have 4 of each of our plates so when we were faced with setting the table for 5 we had to get creative. Our theme was An Evening in Roma but we came across some stars and stripes themed bowls and plates in our cabinets... so we decided that one of our guests would be the resident American.)
Step Five: Invite proprer company.
(Good Friends + Good Food = Good Fun... wait.. strike that... it equals an owned dinner.)
Hope these tips come in handy!
And remeber, keep owning my friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment